Sunday, October 3, 2010

THE ROAD (2009)

[Update 11/17/2021: Need to redo this review completely. Fix the screenshots also.]

A few years after an apocalyptic event kills most of the humans and animals on Earth, a Man and his Boy are wandering around the countryside scavenging for canned goods and supplies as they make their way towards the ocean.  The places they visit are mostly uninhabited, so the majority of the film is simply the Man and the Boy walking and walking and walking.  Very exciting.

I love post-apocalyptic stories, but this one did nothing for me.  It looked good, but you've have to have something happen! The story doesn't have to be anything profound, but it has to be more than just two people wandering around. Have some cannibals steal his son and then have the Man chase after them and kick some ass...or not kick ass and they both get eaten. I would have rather seen that than these two half-dead motherfuckers walking around for two hours looking sad.

If you need me I'll be in my Y2K shelter reading Robert McCammon's "Swan Song".