Wednesday, July 6, 2011

NEAR DARK (1987)

I was surprised at how much I disliked this film. Made the year after ALIENS, it stars three of the main actors from that film and was even written and directed by James Cameron's ex-wife, but fuck this movie is slow! The story's about a cowboy who picks up a sexy girl, she's a vampire and she turns him into a vampire. So now, against their better judgement, her vampire family takes in him, but he doesn't fit in at all. For the rest of the movie they drive and walk and talk and occasionally kill people, but in very boring, soulless way. It almost feels like an art house vampire movie. I can't quite put my finger on it, but this movie bored me to tears.

I'm sure there's people out there that'll say this is the greatest vampire movie of all time, but it was torture for me to get through.  Skip it with a vengeance.  (Maybe I'll try watching it again in a few years.)