Friday, August 31, 2012

THE DICTATOR (2012)

Sacha Baron Cohen is the lifelong dictator of the fictional country of Wadiya. After the opening montage showing Cohen being a childish, spoiled butthole (living a life of luxury while his people starve, playing a video game where he kills Jews, holding his own Olympics where he always wins, etc.) Cohen goes to America to talk to the U.N. about his nuclear program. While in his hotel room, he's kidnapped by an assassin hired by his own right hand man and replaced by an imposter. Stuff happens and Cohen is soon working at a grocery store run by a hippy. Blah, blah, blah...he learns some life lessons and falls in love with a Jewish woman. Yawn.

When Cohen was on Howard Stern promoting his film he was very funny, but I couldn't see exactly where this film was going and now that I've watching it I still can't see what the point of it was. The jokes were only slightly funny, the love stuff was silly, the character of the dictator guy was an asshole, the crude humor wasn't crude enough or funny enough, the political aspects has been done better in other films and the spoiled leader down and out in NYC aspect was done much better in COMING TO AMERICA.

I didn't dislike the film, but it's not worth wasting your time with. I'll never watch it again as long as I live. Skip it. If you need me I'll be in my room listening to "Sexual Chocolate".